The Board of Trustees of Sofia University is the corporate body established by the charter with complete responsibility for the government and welfare of the University and all the interests pertaining thereto including students, faculty, staff and alumni.
In the exercise of this responsibility, the Board is guided by both WASC and ABG and the following policies:
The Board of Trustees shall carry out certain responsibilities as a Board, without delegation. These responsibilities are, in short,:
The board consists of 9 voting members: 5 independents and 4 affiliates. In addition to the voting board members, there are non-voting members from staff, faculty and deans. There are multiple committees including the Financial Plan Committee, Audit Committee, Executive Committee and Academic & Student Service Committee.
FORMER CO-FOUNDER AND CEO OF H-LINE OGILVY COMMUNICATIONS
“Do what you love; love what you do.”
- BA in English Literature and Linguistics, 1989
- Maggie Tsai was co-founder and CEO of H-Line Ogilvy Communications, one of the largest public relations and marketing companies in China. As a highly successfully and well-respected consulting firm, H-Line had a client roster including Google, Intel, GE, Ford among others, and had over 100 clients in the Bay Area.
What about Sofia University inspired you to become a board of trustee?
- Prior to running her own company, Maggie was Editor-in-Chief with Beijing Cultural Exchange Corporation, an Information Officer of the United Nations in Beijing, and a journalist with the English-language China Daily.
- “I am a believer in how education can change destiny, and have always wanted to be part of the changing process. Sofia, with its heritage in the psychological study of mind, body and soul, if synergized with other subjects of studies, has a unique role to play in modern education. I believe in the promises Sofia carries.”
GENERAL PARTNER AND CO-FOUNDER OF TEEC ANGEL FUND
- M.S.C.E., Syracuse University
- M.S.E.E. and B.S.E.E., Tsinghua University
- Eugene Zhang is the General Partner and co-founder of TEEC Angel Fund (TAF), one of the most successful super angel funds in the Bay Area. Over the past 7 years, TAF had 10 successful exits, 3 unicorns and 7 centaurs, and is one of the top-performing early stage funds.
- Before TAF, Eugene was the founding CEO of InnoSpring, a global cross-border technology startup incubator in Silicon Valley, and founder President and CEO of JEDA Technologies, Inc. JEDA opened its Beijing R&D Center at Tsinghua Science Park in 2004.
- Eugene has served on multiple boards including the Board of Tsinghua Entrepreneur & Executive Club (TEEC), and the Board of Northern-America Chinese Semiconductor Association. Between 2007 and 2009, he was the President of the Board of TEEC.
TECHNICAL LEAD, CISCO SYSTEMS
- Bachelor’s Degree, Tsinghua University, 1991
- Master’s Degree, Calgary University, 2000
- Fu Lei has been Technical Lead at Cisco Systems, working for different business groups since 2006. As a Technical Lead, she has to manage her group, co-ordinate between different departments and participate in important decision-making at the company level.
- Fu Lei has almost 20 years of experience in the IT industry. Prior to Cisco, she worked at major IT companies including Juniper and Nortel.
- Over the last decade, Fu Lei has been very active in the educational circles in the Bay Area.
Higher Education Counsel
- B.S, Law School, Peking University, 1984
- Nearly 30 years of higher education administration experience.
- 2010-2017: Director of China Affairs, Stanford Center for International Development.
- 1990-2009: Administrator for Medical School, School of Engineering, and Dean of Research at Stanford University.
- 1984-1989: Legal Counsel, Xinhua News Agency, Beijing.
- Had designed, marketed and executed over 30 special education programs for the EMBA classes of Peking University, Tsinghua University, China Europe International Business School, and the Mayors’ Courses for Guangdong Provincial Government.
Martin E. Dresner, Ph.D.
PROFESSOR, ROBERT H. SMITH SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
- B.Comm, University of Toronto, 1979, majored in Commerce and Finance.
- MBA, York University, Toronto, Ontario, 1980.
- Ph.D., University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., 1989, Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration (Policy Analysis). Ph.D. Dissertation: The International Regulation of Air Transport: Changing Regimes and Price Effects.
- Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, August 2003 to present.
- Associate Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, August 1995 to 2003.
- Visiting Professor, University of Bremen, June, 1998
- Visiting Scholar, University of British Columbia, January-March 1996.
- Assistant Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, August 1989 to August 1995.
- Instructor of Transportation, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, August 1988 to July 1989.
- Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant, University of British Columbia, September 1983 to April 1988.
- Commercial Credit Officer, Toronto Dominion Bank, Toronto, Ontario, September 1980 to July 1983.
- Research has focused on public policy and strategy issues concerning international and domestic transportation and logistics.
Ming Zhou, Ph.D.
PROFESSOR, SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY
Ph.D. (2004) University of Maryland – College Park, MD
- Major Field: Supply Chain Management
- Minor Field: Information Systems
- Dissertation: The Effectiveness of Seller Credibility Systems in the Online Auction Market: Modeling the Seller’s Point of View
- Chairs: Dr. Martin Dresner and Dr. Robert Windle
- Committee members: Dr. Philips Evers, Dr. Thomas Corsi, Dr. Gang-len Chang
- August 2016 – Present Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management College of Business San Jose State University
- August 2013 – Present Assistant Director, Silicon Valley Center of Operations and Technology Management
- August 2012 – July 2016 Associate Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management College of Business San Jose State University
- August 2006 – July 2012 Assistant Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management College of Business
- 03 2016 – Present, CEO and co-founder, Beyond Education Consulting (BEEC), Danville, CA
- 06 2015 – Present, Managing Partner, Opes Acquisitions, Los Gatos, CA
- 09 2015 – Present, Venture Partner, SinoKing Capital, Beijing, China
- 09 2014 – 06 2015, Co-founder, LinkTime Corp, San Jose, CA
- 03 2009 – 03 2016, CEO and founder, Meliora Consulting & Services Inc., Dublin, CA
Sheng (Victor) Dong
REAL ESTATE MANAGEMENT
“Find potential value and get things done”
- MS in Computer Engineering, Syracuse University, USA
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Huazhong University, China
- Mr. Dong has run Happy Ocean, LLC as a CEO and Founder since 2010 and grew the company from scratch to a successful Real Estate development company.
What about Sofia University inspired you to become a board of trustee?
- Sheng (aka Victor) Dong received his master degree in Computer Engineering from Syracuse University in 1994. He had been working as staff engineer in Sony Corporation for past 18 years (till May 2015) and he holds several US patents under his name. He is also a very senior Real Estate Management actively working in San Francisco and Bay area. He recognized business opportunity in real estate investment, formed a team of investors, contractors and realtors, his real estate renovations not only impress buyers with their beauties but also generate very high annual revenue for years and great returns for investors.
- “The high spiritual value that benefits all levels of people on transpersonal psychology globally and a potential of becoming a great university in the heart of Silicon Valley.”
TECH LEADER, APPLE
- Master’s degree from China Science Academy
- Robert Hu has been ASIC architect and tech leader at Apple Inc. for the last seven years. Under his leadership, his team defined and designed multiple iPhone / iPad generations SOC ASIC.
- Robert came to Apple with more than 20 years of experience. Prior to Apple, Robert was a director of Cable/Satellite receiver SOC ASIC at Montage Technology Corp., which went IPO in 2013. Earlier, He led ASIC design as a director of Chinese Terrastal Digital TV modulation standard at Legend Silicon Corp., and as a Sr. Manager at Sigma Designs, Inc. Robert also founded ActiveDesigns Corp. that was acquired by Sigma Designs after 15 months of inception.
- Robert Hu holds several patents.